Saturday, December 19, 2009

Went to Delhi by train couple of weeks back. Fellow, around 40 years old, gets up with a wife, a son and a two year old daughter. He has two police bodyguards armed with automatic guns and a huge amount of luggage. Space in shatabdi trains being limited to overhead racks he wants to move my solitary case. When I object mildly he tells me to shut my mouth. This unnecessary rudeness annoys me so I tell him that I will not shut up and what will he do about it. His wife says that she will teach me a lesson and that I have not seen what she can do to me. Fellow calms down and then starts to phone people telling them of his travel plans. At each station when the train stops people come to pay their respects with biscuits and chocolates for the children. Obviously the fellow is a hustler and a fixer but what entitles him to official protection. I find out that he is just a member of the state legislative assembly or MLA. It is shocking that a two penny MLA is travelling to Mumbai with two armed policemen at taxpayer expense. The policemen have tickets in a rear compartment and spend their entire journey in their own seats leaving the fellow and his slag of a wife completely unguarded. Clearly they are for show, a kind of status symbol. It is garbage like this that we Indians have to vote for. What future do we have?

No comments: