Monday, June 29, 2009

The President of Honduras, Jose Manuel Zelaya was woken up by soldiers and put on a plane to Costa Rica still in his pajamas. Coups by armed forces are always harmful and almost always result in a destructive dictatorships. No better example than Pakistan. On the other hand politicians everywhere seem engaged in increasing their powers and have become intolerant of dissent. Any criminal act, natural calamity or terrorist strike is an excuse for increasing police powers and surveilance of honorable taxpayers. There is Patriot Act in the US, the ubiquitous CCTV in every country and a DNA database in the UK. India is already a police state where every citizen is suspected to be a criminal and treated as such. You want a mobile connection? You have to provide proof of address, photograph and full personal details. Six years ago I wanted to buy a new car, a most harmless exercise and good for the economy. The problem was that it could not be registered as I was living in rented accommodation. How would they catch me if I suddenly changed my residence? Wonderstruck I asked if I was supposed to buy a house for Rs. 3 million to register a car costing Rs. 3 hundred thousand and I was told that I am a trouble maker. Now the government is to award a unique number to every citizen which will identify that person from cradle to grave. How long before a number is tattooed on the skin or a chip implanted into every baby at birth? Sound familiar? Hitler thought about it half a century ago.

No comments: