Thursday, June 28, 2007

I live in a rented flat right at the end of a lane measuring about 400 metres in length. At some unknown time in the past the Municipality decided that the lane was to be cemented with concrete. As with everything done by any government agency it would have taken a considerable amount of time to call for tenders and award the contract to the stupidest person but none of the residents had a clue about the decision until suddenly a few poor labourers started digging up the lane around the middle of March, 2007. Three months have passed and the work is still in progress. The lane has been impassable for three months and it seems that it will take another month. I have been unable to take out my car in all this time which has caused me enormous difficulty. My repeated requests to allow me to drive out once or twice a week have fallen on deaf ears. Instead these sadistic creatures taunt me with big smiles every time they see me walking with bags of groceries or vegetables. I have talked to other residents but have received no support. I have pointed out that if any person developed a heart attack there would be no way of getting the person to hospital because just as we are unable to take out our cars, no ambulance would be able to get in. There is no righteous indignation in North India. Majority of people here have no sense of right or wrong. Lies and immorality provoke no sense of outrage. These coward wimps never protest against official arrogance and wrong doing. Instead their attitude is ' sab chalta hai ' or ' everything goes '. Unforunately these people outnumber Indians from east, west and south and so have been misruling the country since independence. Since the ratio will remain the same for the foreseeable future what hope do we have? Depressing what?

No comments: